Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
List pgsql-general
Aren't you guys forgetting that problably the larger part of the "users
that are unaware of the tuningoptions" will also be unaware of (or at
least not subscribed to) this mailinglist? And thus, the addition
becomes a bit less usefull.

It's nice to have such messages added of course, but if I see "TIP 7:
don't forget to increase your free space map settings" I wonder what it
does and how much I should increase it.
When I was looking for references in the manual, I failed to find
them... At least I couldn't find any information about _how_much_ to
increase that value and such.

I'd be very pleased if the documentation got a clear upgrade on how to
improve your performance and how to determine good values for such
settings. It's a bit hard to search for all the options and possible
settings in the mailinglist, although I've seen Tom (for instance) give
a few handy tips.

Another nice addition might be the tool that is already being discussed
which also does a short benchmark to estimate the tuple-cost and the
cpu-power, which could improve the  quality of postgresql's
queryplanner.

Regards,

Arjen