Fw: PostgreSQL mission statement? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Arthur@LinkLine.com
Subject Fw: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Team,

This sounds good to me.  Especially the comment about software patents.
Software source code can be written with different variable names and
slightly different coding styles.  But when a specific function needs
implementation, often there is only one logical approach.  If that approach
is patented, then it becomes "un-usable" by most programmers.  It is
essentially by nature the same thing as allowing artists to patent certain
shades of color, because they have used it first in a famous painting.  The
idea strikes me as completely ludicrous.

However, I am all for giving credit where credit is due.  I like to see
copyright notices and references to the GPL in Linux oriented code.  It
gives me a better "feel" for those "upon whose shoulders I stand".

Arthur