Re: Question on Opteron performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wolfe
Subject Re: Question on Opteron performance
Date
List pgsql-general
> And lets not forget one of the best things to do: Optimize the queries
> themselves!
>
> Nothing can beat good ol' fashion query optimization.
> Wether it be adding an index or trying something out like a
> materialized view.
>
> I have a PG machine here doing over 50 queries (both read/write) and it
> has plenty of idle cpu.

   Like I said, whether 50 queries per second is any substantial load
depends on the queries.  With some of our queries, we could probably issue
a thousand per second.  However, much of our data model is very complex,
integrating data from a lot of different places, and some of the queries
can get rather intensive.  Believe me, we've spent quite a bit of time
looking for ways to optimize our queries, but if you want to integrate
this much data, there's only so much optimization you can do.

  (I suppose we could create lookup tables of every possible query result,
if we only had a couple of petabytes of storage to use....)

steve