Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?") - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(please note that the word is "amateur" - it comes from French/Latin,
meaning people who do things for the love of it).

There are lots of cron clones for Windows - try a Google search.

Also, there is a native Windows port of Pg 7.2.1 available - we have been
using it for a couple of months now on a small project without a single
hitch. Search this mailing list for details.

Like you, we eagerly await the official Windows port in 7.4. (then we'll
have shema, for example).

Part of the problem that amateurs often face in dealing with things like a
DBMS is that their lack of formal training leads them to expect things to
work in some intuitive fashion, and they don't (for very good technical
reasons). As someone who in a past life had to teach relational theory and
practice, I can tell you that just getting across the idea of a Cartesian
product can be quite hard. And as a former DBA I can tell you that even
seasoned professional developers often don't/can't take the trouble to
analyse what their queries are doing and why they demand so much in
resources. Running a DBMS (*any* DBMS) which has significant requirements is
unfortunately something that requires both understanding and experience. It
never "just works".

Finally, one of the important things for my particular situation, is that Pg
comes with a BSDish license, which means we have no issues with bundling it.
AFAIK it's pretty much alone in that.

andrew