Re: Indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Hikida
Subject Re: Indexes?
Date
List pgsql-general
Perhaps I'm missing something but let's say that the index has the
following:

toDate           fromDate
1992-03-02  1991-01-23
1992-04-03  1990-06-13
1993-05-03  1991-01-22
2004-12-01  2003-02-22
2005-03-04  2003-02-22          (a)
2005-03-05  2004-12-15          (b)
2005-03-05  2004-06-18          (c)
2007-04-12  2005-06-18          (d)

Let's say that there are a million entries where the toDate is less than
today 2004-12-02. That is less than (a) in the index. From the index then
only a, b, c, and d should be scanned further. a and c would be picked based
on the index values because 2004-12-02 is between the from and end date.
However, b and d would be excluded immediately because the the from date is
greater than 2004-12-02 and would save the optimizer from even reading the
table for these index entries because the fromDate is in the index.

This may be a somewhat extreme example but my experience is in most systems
old historical data makes up the bulk of the data and newer data is a much
smaller amount. In addition most people are interested in data from the most
recent month.

Of course I may be mistaken about the data distribution.

Vincent