Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rick Gigger
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
My experience with mysql and postgres was this.  I had some apps that were
running on SQL Server and I wanted to get rid of it because it was
expensive.  Didn't really do much for us that the others couldn't, and I
wanted to get rid of windows.  Plus administratively SQL Server just seemed
to have a lot more weird problems than the other two.  So I started porting
one of my apps simultaneously to both postgres and mysql.  I got to a part
of my app that used unions.  At that time mysql didn't support unions (I
realize that it does now).  I was absolutely amazed.  Needless to say I
dropped mysql right there and have used nothing but postgres ever since.
The learning curve was maybe a tiny, tiny bit steeper than mysql but that is
just because postgres tends to do things right and then make them simple
(for example having sequences and then adding the serial key word) whereas
mysql just makes them simple.  Once I started figuring things out though I
lost any desire to ever look at mysql again because there were so many areas
where postgres excelled and mysql lacked.

crg