Re: Looks are important - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Louise Cofield
Subject Re: Looks are important
Date
List pgsql-sql
Using a fixed-width font as Tom suggests, concatenate an additional space between the no field and the kind field:

SELECT RPAD(no,30,' ') || ' ' || TRIM(tableb.kind) FROM tablea
WHERE tablea.kind = tableb.kind

Louise
-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of George Weaver
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 8:15 PM
To: Josh Berkus; pgsql-sql@postgresql.org; Louise Cofield
Subject: Re: [SQL] Looks are important

Hi Louise, Josh,

Thanks for the suggestions.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a space between no and kind.  Length(no) can vary.  I would like all the kinds to line up evenly when displayed, with a space between no and kind.  But when I RPAD no (to try and get an even starting point for kind),   the ' 's are not quite the same width as an ordinary number or letter.  Thus the physical display length of "30 characters" (padded) can vary from row to row. The result is that the kinds don't necessary line up neatly.  I need to concatenate the two as they are being displayed as one column in a drop down combobox.

Is what I'm trying to do possible???

George