Using cursors inside PL/pgSQL function - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Atul
Subject Using cursors inside PL/pgSQL function
Date
List pgsql-novice
Can't we use cursors inside pl/pgSQL functions. I tried defining the transaction with Begin work and end work statements, because the documentation says that cursors can only be defined in these blocks. But this does not work. I have the following code :

create function sample() returns text as '
declare
    retValue text;
begin work
    declare retCur Cursor for select * from <table name>;
    Fetch 1 in retCur;
    close retCur;
    return ''abc'';
end work;'
language 'plpgsql';

When i execute the above it says ' parse error at or near "work" '. I know that in plpgsql function only begin and end keywords define the block, but since I need to retrieve the value one by one from the table I need to do this.

Is it possible to do the above? If yes, how can I return the value retrieved from the table, from the function?

Regards,

Atul