Re: images in database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: images in database
Date
List pgsql-general
> Jan Wieck wrote
>
> Sure, the "correctness" of the pix isn't that important,
> speed counts ... except maybe if "naked" is only important
> because of photo technical issues - like for Xray?
Indeed, there are a large number of examples where correctness really
counts.
And there are a large number of examples where it doesn't matter 'that
much', while speed is more important.

For instance, we offer our users a 'photoalbum', it's quite nice, works
well, performs well etc.
But I really don't care if an image doesn't get uploaded correctly,
forcing the user to do upload it again. Or that a user has a rare chance
of getting wrong data at his screen.
What I do care about is that such features don't overload our already
'nicely loaded' databases :)

In other areas it might be the other way around, your Xray images
example is a nice one.

> You're right, it depends on the requirements. The problem is
> that people tend to do again and again what they've done
> before (cut'n'paste
> programmers) without really reevaluating how the solution
> fit's into the new requirements.
Too bad they do :(
It's all the OO-paradigma problem! ;) Reuse, reuse and reuse.

Anyway, that is an entirely different discussion :)

Regards,

Arjen