Re: Explain Analyse never returns .. maybe a bug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: Explain Analyse never returns .. maybe a bug
Date
List pgsql-general
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Gagnon" <dgagnon@siunik.com>
Cc: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:25 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] Explain Analyse never returns .. maybe a bug

> Hi all,
>
>  I stop the following statement after 3 minutes....
>
>   explain analyse select *
>        From IC
>        where IC.ICNUM NOT IN (select IRICNUM from IR WHERE IRSTATUT in (1,
> 2))
>

> I'm using 8.0.3 on windows.
> Is that a know bug ?

David,

Remember that EXPLAIN ANALYZE actually RUNS the query.  It may actually be
taking 3+ minutes to run the query.  How large are the tables?  What does
EXPLAIN (without ANALYZE) say?  Have you run the query without EXPLAIN
ANALYZE to know how long it normally takes--what is the basis for suggesting
that 3 minutes is "too long"?

Sean