Re: Field types - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pirtea Calin
Subject Re: Field types
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "Tom Lane"
> "Pirtea Calin" <pcalin@rdsor.ro> writes:
> > PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.95.3
>
> int8 should certainly work on that.  What exactly did you try,
> and what happened?

create table catalog1
(id int8 not null primary key
,Info1 VarChar(15) not null
,Info2 VarChar(30) not null);

I looked at my int8 type description and it looks like this:

-- Type: int8
CREATE TYPE "int8"(INPUT = "int8in", OUTPUT = "int8out", INTERNALLENGTH = 8,
EXTERNALLENGTH = 20, DELIMITER = ",", SEND = "int8out", RECEIVE = "int8in",
ALIGNMENT = double, STORAGE = Plain);

Question: Why "Alignment = Double"

The version string "PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
2.95.3"
is from pgAdmin II connection info.
Is it posible that my server is not what this info sais?

If it can be a diferent version then i will check tomorow morning because i
can't access the server directly.

I presume it is 7.1.3 but that is only a presumtion because it was installed
in autumn last year so i doubt it is very old.

Maybe i can create a new type with a diferent alignment? If true then what
alignment should i use?

TIA

Best regards,
Aplication Developer