Re: SQLJSON - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Markus KARG
Subject Re: SQLJSON
Date
Re: SQLJSON  (Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8Kdata.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Álvaro,

I also think we should look at the topic with the eyes of the user, but I
have to disagree in two point exactly due to that attitude:

(1) JSON is definitively not just another datatype. Just like XML, it
provides the ability to return a complete object graph as the content of one
column of one row. Hence, it contains the same amount of data that in
pre-XML and pre-JSON times, the ResultSet did handle alone. Or in other
words, from the complexity of the information and from the aspect of end
user performance, it "feels" like a ResulSet that contains ResultSets that
contains ResultSets... Handling it just like any other datatype is what
pgjdbc does currently, and it provides very poor performance due to that, as
it simply ships the complete graph - independent of the fact whether the end
user will process is completely or just pick a single node of it. Asking to
handle JSON as just any other data type is like asking to give up ResultSet
in favor of returning an ArrayList<ArrayList<?>>! So looking with the eyes
of an end user, the answer must be, to NOT handle JSON like any other
datatype, and NOT return a JsonObject, but instead provide a streaming API,
just like SQLXML does. This allows to only transfer and process that few
nodes the the end user actually likes to have, just like an end user
typically will never process a complete ResultSet but process it iteratively
and most typically filtered.

(2) The user MUST be always asked to provide a JSON parser, as it is HIM who
wants to use JSON, and so it is HIS choice to select one among those
fulfilling the JSONP API standard. Hence it makes no sense that pgjdbc picks
and / or provides one. Most typically this will end up in the same design
choice than most XML applications ended up with: Relying on Java SE / EE
providing a default product, like it is the case with JAXB (Xerces). The
only thing pgjdbc can really do NOW is to support the JSON SPI *if* there is
a processor on the classpath, and once the postgresql server produces an
improved streaming procotol for JSON / XML we can couple the client's JSON
event handler with the server's protocol events.

Regards
Markus