Re: pg_ctl: server does not shut down - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gnanakumar
Subject Re: pg_ctl: server does not shut down
Date
List pgsql-admin
> You can check if PITR is disabled by executing:
> SHOW archive_command;
> At a psql prompt.  If that's empty, then you turned it off, and it isn't
involved in the shutdown issue you have anymore.

Yes, I could see empty value here.

> Take a look at what processes are still running against the database and
see if there are clients attached after the fast shutdown attempt.
> If so, those are your problem, not something to PITR.

Yes, I can see the following processes still running. I used the command 'ps
-ef |grep postgres' to list.
postgres  3376     1  0 07:20 ?        00:00:00
/mnt/database/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
postgres  3381  3376  0 07:20 ?        00:00:00 postgres: logger process

postgres  3383  3376  0 07:20 ?        00:00:00 postgres: writer process

But why logger and writer process are still running/showing up here for a
very long time after issuing 'service postgresql stop'.  What could be the
problem?  Also, am sure here that no other clients (database connections)
are connected at this time.