No response after running an attempted database connect. - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From dlangschied
Subject No response after running an attempted database connect.
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello all!

I have created a simple database connection application in java2.  The app
compiles just fine.  When I run it, I just go right back to the prompt, as
if the program completed successfully.  The problem is that it should have
failed.

A little background:

I want to connect to a postgres database running (with -i invoked) on Linux
from a Windows XP Workstation.

1.  I downloaded the postgres jar file "pg73jdbc3.jar" from the web site.  I
placed this file in the C:\java\jre\lib\ext directory.

2. I set CLASSPATH=C:\java\jre\lib\ext\pg73jdbc3.jar;c:\JavaApps

3.  I wrote a simple program to test this connection.

    import java.sql.*;

    public class UsrPwdVer
    {
      private Connection con;
      private UsrPwdVer()
     {
       try
      {
        Class.forName("org.postgres.Driver");
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
         System.out.println(
           "Failed to load postgres driver.");
         return;
      }
      try
     {
       con =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://192.168.1.101/pgerp","pg","pg
");
     }
     catch (Exception e)
     {
       System.err.println("problems connecting to database");
     }
  }
  public static void main(String args[])
  {
  }
}

pg is not a user so I should have expected to see "problems connecting to
database".

What did I miss?

Sincerely,

David Langschied