Re: webware - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dado feigenblatt
Subject Re: webware
Date
List pgsql-general
Webware is written in Python and has different parts.
One of them, middlekit, builds a middlelayer API in Python for databases.
We use Postgresql and Python. Some people at work are pushing for the
company to use Webware as it would facilitate development.
I think the idea behind it is nice, but I'm unconfortable with the
implementation.
Based on an object oriented design of your schema, it creates a whole Python
API.
This is the nice part. My problem is that it pushes the object model down to
the database.
It organizes your tables according to your classes and the only way to make
sense out of it is through the API it builds.
I still have to understand what it is really doing, but my initial
impressions aren't good.
It doesn't make use of any of the traditional features that make databases
what they are.
For instance, it is almost impossible to make a join. One would have to
retrieve an object (row), and through its methods find the related data in
other classes (tables). Everything is done in the client. Our database will
be for internal use only and the user base is comparatively small. We won't
face many of the performance issues most of the people have
Nonetheless, being the database part of the core services a bussiness rely
on to operate, I think we should go with proven technologies.
By asking about webware to this list I was hopping to find someone with more
database experience who knows webware to either ease my concerns about it or
give me some amunition to try and convince my coleagues on why we shouldn't
use it.
This list have been very helpfull in the past not only on Postgresql related
issues but on databases in general.
Forgive me if this is considered out of topic. Would someone then recommend
another forum for this?

Thanks
Dado Feigenblatt