Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...
Date
List pgsql-general
Randolf Richardson Wrote:
>         2. Moving to table spaces (PostgreSQL version 8 maybe?) rather
> than just storing a whole bunch of files in a single directory.  Oracle's
> implementation is nice because tables, indexes, etc., can span multiple
> table spaces, and there are great performance optimization and scalability
> advantages that otherwise just aren't possible without them.  I read in
> another thread (approx. 2 months old) earlier this evening that some folks
> would like to see OIDs deprecated, and if this is the case then the sub-
> directories under "base/" will obviously need a different naming
mechanism,
> so instead of re-thinking this perhaps it would be a good opportunity for
> the PostgreSQL team to look at the possibility of implementing things
> within table spaces.

I believe this is being worked on also.

> > Anyway one additional thought I had was that it should be possible to
> > write parsers for text files in PL/PERLu and then plug those in as
> > views.  In this way, files such as /etc/passwd or even /var/log/messages
> > could be used as if they were tables in the database.
<SNIP>
>     A very interesting idea, but my feeling is that pure PERL is best
> suited for dealing with flat text files.

True,. and I use it for that (see my project at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fwreport).  However the ability to take a
similar parser and then use it to present the same information to a RDBMS
would then provide some additional flexibility, as you could use the RDBMS
for managing the query interface to the files.  Not very useful if you only
want to see the same files the same way every time, but very useful if you
need to extract different information from them.