Re: Extracting data from deprecated MONEY fields - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Winter
Subject Re: Extracting data from deprecated MONEY fields
Date
Re: Extracting data from deprecated MONEY fields  (Shane Ambler <pgsql@Sheeky.Biz>)
List pgsql-general
Thanks, Joshua ~

What you suggest is basically what I'm trying to do.  Where I'm stuck is in
finding a construct (a CAST or whatever) to turn the existing "money" column
data (directly or indirectly) into numeric.  I've tried to convert a column
named "amount" in the following ways, with the following results:

CAST(amount AS numeric) -> "cannot cast type money to numeric"
CAST(amount AS numeric(10,2)) -> "cannot cast type money to numeric"
CAST(amount AS decimal) -> "cannot cast type money to numeric"
CAST(amount AS text) -> "cannot cast type money to text"
CAST(amount AS varchar) -> "cannot cast type money to character varying"
to_char(money) -> "function to_char(money) does not exist"

~ Ken