Re: Two features left - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Wilson
Subject Re: Two features left
Date
List pgsql-general
I totally agree.

As I understand it, every function being executed is either inside an
explicit or implicit transaction.  What I would like is the ability to
commit/rollback within a function (that would also implicitly start another
transaction).

This would have the following benefits:
1. If a large amount of processing is going on before an exception occurs,
only the stuff since the last commit will be lost.
2. It reduces load on your rollback segments (sorry, oracle speak here).
3. It paves the way for exception handling within your code.

Exception handling is probably the biggest thing that I need from a
programming language that plpgsql does not have.  With exception handling,
you can rollback the error, but log (and commit) information about the error
to an error log table.  This is enormously helpful for troubleshooting
purposes when such errors occur.  Exceptions are also awesome because it
enables you to write code that fails gracefully rather than having to
anticipate and code for every possible thing that can go wrong.

Cheers,
Mark