Re: How do I replace select ... into commands? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Sydney-Smith
Subject Re: How do I replace select ... into commands?
Date
Re: How do I replace select ... into commands?  ("Richard Huxton" <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Stephen replied :

> Something like the above should work, what's the exact function and error
> message and what version are you using?

thanks Stephen.

Exact function definition follows:
PG Version is 7.3.1 on Windows 2000

This procedure allocates unique record number to a number of tables. In the
application it is important that I know the records ID number before it is
inserted into the database. Also use to assign batch and session numbers
etc.

CREATE FUNCTION public.make_rsn(bpchar, bpchar, int4) RETURNS int4 AS '

declare  tbl alias for $1;  seq_fld alias for $2;  incr alias for $3;
  rsn integer := 0;  lastrsn integer := 0;  mx integer := 0;

begin
-- look for existing last RSN
select "max"(seq_val) as m into lastrsn from fseqkeys where seq_key = tbl;

if lastrsn=0 or lastrsn is null then  -- no pre existing RSN so we have to search the table  if tbl=''BATCH'' or
position(''-''in tbl)>0 then     mx := 100;  else     execute ''select max('' || seq_fld || '') into mx from '' || tbl;
end if;  rsn := mx+1;

  -- dont allow rsn < 100  if rsn<100 or rsn is null then     rsn := 100;  end if;
  lastrsn := rsn;  -- record the new rsn  insert into fseqkeys (seq_key,seq_val) values (tbl,rsn);
end if;

-- reserve the required number of rows
rsn := lastrsn+incr;
--and update the fseqkeys table with the RSN number/s we have just used
update fseqkeys set seq_val = rsn where seq_key=tbl;

-- now return the RSN number to the user
return rsn;
end;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;