Re: RFC: A brief guide to nulls (noarchive) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ries van Twisk
Subject Re: RFC: A brief guide to nulls (noarchive)
Date
List pgsql-sql
You might add this as an example:

mytable
------------
id    value
1    1
2    2
3    3
4    <NULL>
5    4
6    5

-- Count ALL records
SELECT count(*) FROM mytable;
Result: 6

-- Count id records
SELECT count(id) FROM mytable;
Result: 6

-- Count value records
SELECT count(value) FROM mytable;
Result: 5

-- Sum of all values
SELECT sum(value) FROM mytable;
Result: 15

-- Average of the values
SELECT sum(value)/count(value) FROM mytable;
Result: 3

-- !!!WRONG!!! Method of the average
SELECT sum(value)/count(*) FROM mytable;
Result: 2.5

What I try to do and what I advice to the novice database designer is try to
avoid NULLS. Why??? because it's differcult to think in tree based logic.
As for a example in the case of the customer sex.
You can use 'M' for male, 'F' for female, 'U' for unknown and 'N' for 'not
applicapable'.
In this way you can use the NOT NULL contsraint so the novice programmer can
work with actual values instead of 'forgetting' about the NULLS. This idea
can be helpfull for the novice database designer.

Just a thought...

Ries van Twisk