Re: Serialize - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Serialize
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Actually, no that's not what it's for.

What it does is "Serialize" a class into the db "automagically".

There are much better products out there with much better functionality

See http://www.ambysoft.com/persistenceLayer.html

I personally use Artom Rudoy's persistence layer

www.sourceforge.net/projects/player

The following code is an example of how to use Serialize in the postgres
database

package postgrestest;

/**
 * Title:        Postgres Tests
 * Copyright:    Copyright (c) 2001
 * Company:      Ebox Inc
 * @author Dave Cramer
 * @version 1.0
 */

 /*
 *  Java sample program
 */

 import java.io.*;
 import java.sql.*;
 import org.postgresql.util.*;

 public class lili implements  Serializable
 {

  public String myString;
  public int myNumber;

  public lili()   throws ClassNotFoundException, FileNotFoundException,
IOException, SQLException
  {

    myString="theString";
    myNumber=4;
  }
  public boolean equals(lili l)
  {
    return (l.myString.equals(this.myString) && myNumber ==
this.myNumber);
  }
  private void testmethod(){};
  public void testmethod2x(){};

  public static void main(String args[])
  {
    org.postgresql.Connection conn=null;
    try {
      lili mylili = new lili();
      lili test = null;
      Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");         // load database
interface

// connect to the database
      conn =
(org.postgresql.Connection)DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql:
//alpha.ebox.com/davec", "davec",   "");     // works
      // test of serialisation
      org.postgresql.util.Serialize.create(conn, mylili);     // makes
problems
      org.postgresql.util.Serialize s = new Serialize(conn,mylili);
      int oid  = s.store(mylili);
      test = (lili)s.fetch(oid);
      if (mylili.equals(test)){
        System.out.println("Success");
      }else{
        System.out.println("Failure");
      }
    } catch(Exception exc){
      System.err.println("Exception caught.\n" + exc);
      exc.printStackTrace();
    }finally{
      try {
        if (conn != null) conn.close();