Re: PostgreSQL Frontend for Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Nuzum
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Frontend for Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
A couple of suggestions for frontends...

First, I think you were asking for a Linux front end, but the subject on
your e-mail is confusing, so I'll recommend a few front ends I use in both
Windows and Linux:

First, the one I use the most is phpPgAdmin and it works in many web
browsers.  It lets you do some simple db/table management and do queries and
reports.

My favorite tool for doing queries and reports on Windows is MS Access.  I
currently use '97, but 2000 works just as good, if not better.  You can
easily make reports, queries and subqueries as well as mail merges and
import/export data by linking or importing tables.

For similar functionality on Linux, Staroffice or Openoffice.org can do just
about everything Access can.  It's not straightforward on how to do this
though, but a link that might help is:
http://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0207.barr.html (targeted at MySQL, but if you
use the PostgreSQL ODBC driver instead, things work just as well.
Alternately, the jdbc driver might be easier as you won't have to install
ODBC on Linux)  The follow up article is useful as well,
http://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0217.barr.html.  The important thing to
remember about the Openoffice.org/Staroffice tools is while Microsoft
created Access as a separate program, Openoffice.org integrates that
functionality to varying degrees in ALL of it's productivity tools.
Therefore, you do not have an icon for the database tools, you just create a
new spreadsheet or word processor document and start going.

If you want to do db management, I like pgAdminII on Windows and the tools
for RedHat DB on Linux.  I believe the RedHat tools are geared at Postgres
7.2 though, so no schemas.

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org