Re: query help/sugestions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John Cavacas
Subject Re: query help/sugestions
Date
List pgsql-sql
Roberto,

Thanks for the sugestions. I was actually starting to look down that
path. Here are my table defs:

CREATE TABLE "content" ("id"                int4 DEFAULT nextval('public.content_id_seq')  NOT
NULL ,"userid"            int4 NOT NULL ,"catid"             int4 NOT NULL ,"type"              int4 NOT NULL ,"status"
          int4 NOT NULL ,"datecreated"       timestamp without time zone DEFAULT now()  NOT NULL

,"lastmodified"      timestamp without time zone DEFAULT now()  NOT NULL
,"title"             text NOT NULL ,"intro"             text NOT NULL ,"body"              text NOT NULL ,
CONSTRAINT "userid" FOREIGN KEY ("userid") REFERENCES users(id) MATCH
FULL ,
CONSTRAINT "categories_content_fkey" FOREIGN KEY ("catid") REFERENCES
categories(id) MATCH FULL ,
CONSTRAINT "types_content_fkey" FOREIGN KEY ("type") REFERENCES
types(type) MATCH FULL ,
CONSTRAINT "status_content_fkey" FOREIGN KEY ("status") REFERENCES
status(id) MATCH FULL ,
CONSTRAINT "content_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("id")
);

CREATE TABLE "comments" ("id"                int4 DEFAULT nextval('public.comments_id_seq')  NOT
NULL ,"cid"               int4 NOT NULL ,"pid"               int4 NOT NULL ,"userid"            int4 NOT NULL
,"datecreated"      timestamp without time zone DEFAULT now()  NOT NULL

,"lastmodified"      timestamp without time zone DEFAULT now()  NOT NULL
,"title"             text NOT NULL ,"commentbody"       text NOT NULL ,"ip"                varchar(16) NOT NULL ,
CONSTRAINT "content_comments_fkey" FOREIGN KEY ("cid") REFERENCES
content(id) MATCH FULL ,
CONSTRAINT "comments_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("id")
);

I set my client to break lines at 72 chars, i hope it worked...

This query:

select c.id, c.title, COUNT(cc.cid) AS ccount FROM content c
LEFT JOIN comments cc ON (c.id=cc.cid)  GROUP BY  c.id, c.title

Does what I need, however I need to query 3 other tables as well to get
the data that I need to display, trying to make that work now.

Is that what you ment?

Thanks a bunch,
John