ENC: RES: pg_dump slow - Solution - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Franklin Haut
Subject ENC: RES: pg_dump slow - Solution
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hi,

Finally i found the problem of slow backup/restore, i´m only instaled de
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4... :)

Thanks to all

Franklin

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com] Enviada em: quarta-feira, 30 de
novembro de 2005 14:28
Para: Franklin Haut
Cc: 'Ron'; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Assunto: Re: RES: [PERFORM] pg_dump slow

Franklin Haut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, my problem is that the pg_dump takes 40 secs to complete under
> WinXP and 50 minutes under W2K! The same database, the same hardware!,
> only diferrent Operational Systems.
>
> The hardware is:
>    Pentium4 HT 3.2 GHz
>    1024 Mb Memory
>    HD 120Gb SATA

There have been reports of very slow network performance on Win2k systems
with the default configuration. You'll have to check the archives for
details I'm afraid. This might apply to you.

If you're happy that doesn't affect you then I'd look at the disk system
- perhaps XP has newer drivers than Win2k.

What do the MS performance-charts show is happening? Specifically, CPU and
disk I/O.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd