Can't start postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Can't start postmaster
Date
List pgsql-cygwin

I’d appreciate any insight on the problems that you might see in console printout below. I installed the postmaster service as owned by user postgres:

cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D /usr/share/postgresql/data -i" --dep ipc-daemon --termsig INT --user postgres --shutdown

I’m guessing that I might not be able to run it that way, because there is no “su” command in cygwin/Windows.

Should I start from scratch and install the postmaster as owned by me?

On the flipside, how can I get me to own the server process? Is it like putting me and postgres into a group?

Thanks,

r.

----------------------------------

me@MAIN ~

$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "me"

.

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok

creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1... FATAL:  Can'

t create lock file /usr/share/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid: Permission denied

initdb failed.

me@MAIN ~

$ net start postmaster

The postmaster service is starting.

The postmaster service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

me@MAIN ~

$