Re: Numerical DB/Table Names - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Numerical DB/Table Names
Date
List pgsql-general
> upgrading to 7.1.3 but have run into a problem.  All of the databases
> are stored with numerical names in the /$prefix/base directory.  They
> seem to be stored as binaries so I am unable to open any files under
> that directory.  I know that in our 7.0 version of PostgreSQL all
> databases have a directory under the /$prefix/base directory that is
> labeled as the name of the database.  Inside each database directory the
> physical data is stored in files that have the same name as all the
> relationships in the database.  I can still insert and retrieve data
> from any database created on this new 7.1.3 cluster but am not
> comfortable with not being able to read the data files.
> Has anyone encountered this problem?  Thanks in advance for any help you
> can provide.

In 7.1+ the directories and files are named by their OIDs. See the README in
contrib/oid2name for more information. I haven't used it myself, but the
oid2name contib should let you more easily associate the OID names with the
database object names.

Hope this helps,

-- Joe