Re: [GENERAL] Postgres 7.1.3. installation on Windows platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steven Vajdic
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgres 7.1.3. installation on Windows platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks, but latest Cygwin installation (using internet "setup.exe"),
although saying it includes PostgreSQL, does NOT.

There is a "nmake /f win32.mak" to be run under Visual C++ explained in
PostgreSQL Docs=Windows installation in order to build "libpq.dll" which
needs to be placed into "windows/system" dir under Win98/95/ME.

Yet, some installation procedures suggest that file "pq.dll" is placed into
/usr/local/pgsql/bin. That file already exists in
"../src/interfaces/libpq/".

What is the difference between "pq.dll" and "libpq.dll"?
I have found "libpq.dll" in PHP installation, copied it to
"windows/system" - psql is not working (not built properly due to "make"
error).

Everything in my installation is fine except "make" and "make install"
(make[3]: *** [psql] Error 1, etc...).
It seems that "psql.exe" is not built properly.

"ipc-daemon" is running,
"initdb" finishes properly,
BUT "psql -l" or "psql template1" says:
pg_flush: send() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
pg_recvbuf: recv() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

AND (although "php.ini" file allows "extension php_pgsql.dll" and the file
is copied to "windows/system") "pg_connect" as the first command to connect
PostgreSQL data base is not recognised.

????