[Novice] questions on pg_hba.conf and stopping postmaster in cygwin - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Juliet May
Subject [Novice] questions on pg_hba.conf and stopping postmaster in cygwin
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I installed postgresql using cygwin. I got everything up and going fine. I read a suggestion on a help page that said I should run the postmaster in a separate cygwin window. That works fine too, but do I need to leave the cygwin shell open continously in order for the database to run? If I do need to shut the shell down how do I stop postmaster? It continually posts error messages but I no longer have a cursor to type.

My second question relates to using pgadmin. I keep getting a syntax error in the pg_hba.conf file. I have it set up exactly as the documentation says. The error message is ('single quotes added by me')

'Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file'

The postmaster log says ' "arse_hba: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file at line 1, token "trust'

The first line in the pg_hba file says

'host    all    127.0.0.1    255.255.255.255    trust'

I edited the pg_hba.conf file in notepad and I think that could be causing the error. Is there another option for editing the file that I should use?

Cygwin and postgresql are running on an NT server. I am running pgadmin on a W2K machine.

Any thoughts? TIA

Julie