Possible to do this in one query? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John Oakes
Subject Possible to do this in one query?
Date
Re: Possible to do this in one query?  ("Andrew G. Hammond" <drew@xyzzy.dhs.org>)
List pgsql-sql
I have a table with a column that contains fail codes.  These codes are 1-9.
I need to get a count of each of the codes.  Right now I have separate
queries:

select count(*) from tablename
where failcode = '1';

If I use GROUP BY it obviously doesn't get the count for codes that don't
exist.  I need to have 0 returned though so I have a listing of all 9 fail
codes and their total, even if it is zero.  I tried UNION like this:

select count(*) from tablename
where failcode = '1';
UNION
select count(*) from tablename
where failcode = '2';

etc, but it too excludes the codes that have a count of zero.  Right now I
have resorted to using 9 separate queries.  Is there a way to do this with
one?  Thank you!

John Oakes