Re: RFC: CRC datatype - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Horst Herb
Subject Re: RFC: CRC datatype
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Always remember that a psotgres data base on the harddisk can be
> > manipulated accidentally / maliciously without postgres even running.
> > These are the cases where you need row level CRCs.
>
> "There is no security without physical security."  If somebody can
> change the row contents, they can also change the row and/or block
> checksum to match.

They may, but in a proper setup they won't be able to access the CRC log
files. That way, you can still detect alterations. I presume anyway that most
alterations would be rather accidental than malicious, and in that case the
CRC is extremely helpful

Horst