INDIANNIC : POSTGRES WINDOWS INSTALLATION - Mailing list pgsql-general

From INDIANNIC-HOSTING
Subject INDIANNIC : POSTGRES WINDOWS INSTALLATION
Date
List pgsql-general
hi

i wrote to selena and was asked to send this write on windows installation
out here

############

we installed postgres on our windows 2000 server yesterday and faced a few
problems (related to initdb ).  We found that a few initial steps will make
things easy for all. These are not listed out in the forums or postgres
docs. if it is ok you can post these in the postgres windows faq.

we have written below a few lines which may help others. this applies to
win2k and also apply to win2003

a) if your server is hosted in a dataceneter
for installation on windows 2000 you cannot use terminal service. you need a
remote desktop service. you can install realvnc (http://www.realvnc.com)
install it so that you get access to your server similar to a console. If
you are using win2003 use remote desktop for installation.

b) postgres database server will not install as an user with administrator
rights. So before starting installation create some random user :
my_postgres under computer management > users , and remember the password.
By default this user which you create will belong to the member of "users"
group. Select and Remove this membership.

c) create a folder say c:\postgres.
It is assumed the users "system" and "adminstrator" already have full rights
over entire c: drive

d) now select the folder c:\postgres > properties > security > add user
"my_postgres " and user "everyone".
both users should be given full permissions to ready / write / modify etc to
the c:\postgres directory location.
After installation you SHOULD remove user "everyone" but retain
"user_postgres" user which selective permissions as per posgres
documentation.

e) go to c: drive properties > quotas > make sure you give user_postgres
unlimited quota or atleast around 200 mb. if you dont do this then
installation may stop midway with errors.

f) now you can start your installation and give path c:\postgres during
installation instead of c:\program files, and use the above user :
my_postgres . remember that after installation postgres service under
windows service will run as "my_postgres" for security purpose.
Now remove user "everyone" from c:\postfix
Adjust the user_postgres permissions as per posgres document.
Restart "postgres"  service and check.
If the permissions on the c:\postgres directory is not correct then the
service will not start correctly.

Sincerely

Rajesh Mahadevan
Indian Network Information Centre
+91-22-27693138
+91-9920572502
Mobile : +91-9821057134

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for writing that up!  Could you please send your message to
pgsql-general@postgresql.org? I think it would be of interest to a
number of people.

-selena