Re: Problem with a lookup table! Please help. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Jewell
Subject Re: Problem with a lookup table! Please help.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Table definitions are:

CREATE TABLE tblantibiotics ('Antibiotic'
varchar(50),'Activity_against_grampos'  int,'Activity_against_gramneg'
int,'Activity_against_aerobes'  int,'Activity_against_anaerobes'  int);

CREATE TABLE efficacy ('Efficacy_code'  int,'Plain_english' varchar (10));

In table efficacy, 'Efficacy_code' contains a 1 - 5 scale of efficacy.  Each
string in 'Plain_english' is a plain English descriptor of the value in
'Efficacy_code'.  For example, 1 => Excellent, 2=> Good, etc etc.  What I
need to do is to substitute the integers set in the "Activity......."
columns in tblantibiotics with the strings in 'Plain_english' according to
the integer set in 'Efficacy_code'.  Any ideas?

Chris J