Re: Vacuum-ing without disconnecting users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Samuel
Subject Re: Vacuum-ing without disconnecting users
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Thalis, thank's for the info.
If PostgreSQL has to lock the table, then how can it operate on 24x7 ?

Correct me if I'm wrong :)
* pg_dump seems to able to backup the data, don't care if there's an active
user
* Interbase/IBPhoenix do this on the fly ( vacuum )
* Oracle and many other database doesn't even has to vacuum ( of course
because different database concept ).  And before somebody else out there
screaming, I would like to say, yeah I know Oracle is very expensive :)

Vacuuming on the fly probably a very good idea.  Either automatically, like
Interbase/IBPhoenix or manually, by issuing the command but not locking the
table.  Hopefully it goes into the TO DO list.

Thank's
Andy