Re: Data Warehouse Reevaluation - MySQL vs Postgres -- - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Iain
Subject Re: Data Warehouse Reevaluation - MySQL vs Postgres --
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Joe,

> That's exactly what we're doing, but using inherited tables instead of a
> union view. With inheritance, there is no need to rebuild the view each
> time a table is added or removed. Basically, in our application, tables
> are partitioned by either month or week, depending on the type of data
> involved, and queries are normally date qualified.

That sounds interesting. I have to admit that I havn't touched iheritance in
pg at all yet so I find it hard to imagine how this would work. If you have
a chance, would you mind elaborating on it just a little?

Regards
Iain