Can't connect on Windows - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Can't connect on Windows
Date
Re: Can't connect on Windows  (fcy@acm.org)
List pgadmin-support

I installed cygwin-based postgreSQL. I have not been able yet to start it as a service (net start postmaster), apparently because of permissions problems. I’m waiting on some suggestions, hopefully, about that.

I can connect to the DB w/o starting a service from the cygwin command line, however, in that case I only have 1 user (myself), no postgres user is there yet. This way, I cannot connect to the DB from pgAdmin (localhost), it says “Could not connect to the server”, “Could not connect to remote socket”.

Do I get it right that to connect on localhost with pgAdmin, I have to have postmaster running as a service? I think adding postgres user and running w/o net start postmaster will not make any difference. Is that right?

Thank you,

r.