Re: again, LIKE operator - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Samuel
Subject Re: again, LIKE operator
Date
List pgsql-general
Just forget my previous email.

PostgreSQL does not use index on LIKE 'a%' but it will use the index if LIKE 'ab%' or something longer.
So the optimizer thinks it is not good enough if it's only 1 character.
Well done !

Thank you
Andy
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 11:35 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] again, LIKE operator

Dear All

I've search the archive and manuals and it says I should use C locale in order to enable LIKE to use index.
Postgresql was installed after I set the locale to C.  So I'm sure the initdb will use C.
From EXPLAIN I know that :

SELECT * FROM GuestProfile WHERE FirstName LIKE 'a'      will use index on FirstName

but

SELECT * FROM GuestProfile WHERE FirstName LIKE 'a%'   will not use Index on FirstName

I have 9,999,999 records and it was VACUUM ANALYZE-d.

How do I enforce the optimizer to use the index ?

Thank you in advance
Andy