RE: [INTERFACES] hacked unixodbc driver.. - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter Harvey
Subject RE: [INTERFACES] hacked unixodbc driver..
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

Relax. OpenSource maintainers can simply say that we only accept patchs and
we only give out cvs write access to those who have submitted some quality
patchs. Thomas said as much to me.

Any developer who feels that creating a code fork is easier than dealing
with the maintainer than they should go ahead and do so. I say this, not
because I like code forks, but because I know of projects (this is not one
of them) which have maintainers who continue to control code long past when
they are really able to commit any time to do the job.

re. unixODBC

I prefer to 'mirror' some driver source. This way I can make any changes and
enhancements to ensure it meets some tests (ie works with StarOffice) and
ensure that it is availible to unixODBC users while I wait for changes to be
accepted by the source maintainers.

The problem with ODBC is that nonone has been handling it holistically... at
least no OpenSource developers and this is exactly what is required to get
ODBC moving on UNIX/Linux. This is why I started unixODBC.

The plan is to be less holistic when unixODBC 1.0 comes out. In other words;
the focus will return to things like the DM and drivers will go through
compliance tests. The compliance tests will be sent to driver source
maintainers and they can do what they want with the info... unixODBC
developers will not try to fix all drivers out there.

Having said all of that... I have offered to do the patch submissions when
asked (ie when PostgreSQL folks are ready).

Also note; a number of iODBC and unixODBC developers are currently working
on actual code changes and enhancements to get ODBC into KDE. This should be
very healthy and will likely see something of a merge between the two.

Peter Harvey

BTW: Please do not discourage George, or any other developer, from spending
time on PostgreSQL or any other project. Developers such as George deserve
some lee-way because they spend a great deal of their time on this stuff for
free. I often have to remind myself that I am working with a group of
volunteers... not paid employees... it always changes the tone of my emails.