Re: Changes in /contrib/fulltextindex - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Changes in /contrib/fulltextindex
Date
Re: Changes in /contrib/fulltextindex
List pgsql-patches
Hi Florian,

> I have done some changes and improvements to the fulltextindex trigger
> (contrib/fulltextindex). As these changes affects among other things the
> parameter list I would like to ask the maintainer about his thoughts
before
> I submit a patch. And there comes the problem - there is no explizit
> maintainer listed in the accompanying docs. The last changes according to
> the cvs log has been done by Bruce Momjian.

The most recent patches were submitted by me, so I guess you could call me
the defacto "maintainer".

> Maybe the original author is subscribed to this list and can get in touch
> with me because I'm kind of new to incorporation patches to a open source
> project.

Cool, reply to me personally if you need technical help, or if you want me
to review your patch and use the list to discuss things that affect the
project...

> The changes made include:
>
> + Changed the split up behaviour from checking via isalpha to
>   using a list of delimiters as isalpha is a pain used with
>   data containing german umlauts, etc. ATM this list contains:
>
>   " ,;.:-_#/*+~^°!?\"\\§$%&()[]{}=<>|0123456789\n\r\t@µ"

Good idea.  Is there a locale-aware version of isalpha anywhere?

> + If the do be indexed field has'nt changed, the indexing will
>   not be done. This way unnecessary redindexing of fields not
>   affected by an update can by omited.

Fantastic!  That was on my list of things to do!

> + There is a new field 'word' of type BOOL in the index table.
>   Using this field, it is possible to do 'full word' and
>   'substring' searches.

Hehe - that was another idea I had as well.  Breaks back compatibility.

> + The text gets no longer lowercased before it is written into
>   the index table. This way it is possible to to casesensitive
>   and incasesenstive (via a functional index using lower) searches.

ok

> + Added functionality to prevent indexing of duplicate words
>   (this is one item of the todo list in fti.c) using a hash
>   table. As this is chained to a significant loos of performance
>   and depends on the indexed data, this can be turned on or off
>   via a newly introduced parameter.

ok.

OK Florian,  can you please send me your new contrib/fulltextindex directory
tarred up?

List:  what should we do about the backward compatibility problem?

Chris