Database function syntax for inserting records - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Susan Hoddinott
Subject Database function syntax for inserting records
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello,

I have created the following function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION orderinsert(INTEGER, VARCHAR) RETURNS INTEGER AS '

INSERT INTO HEXORDERS ( CUSTOMER_ID, ORDER_KEY, DISTRIBUTOR_ID, ORDER_AMOUNT, ORDER_GST )

VALUES ( $1, $2, 1, 0, 0 ) ;

SELECT 1 ;

' LANGUAGE SQL ;

which seems to me to be consistent with the instructions given in the Reference manual.  However, when trying to create this function I receive the errors:

parser: parse error at or near ";"

parser: parse error at or near "orderinsert"

Can any one tell my what I am doing wrong as this seems to be exactly as specified in the Reference and Programmer manuals?

Regards

Attachment