Re[2]: Interface Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kurt Miller
Subject Re[2]: Interface Question
Date
List pgsql-general
More specifically:

Can this be done without having Postgres installed on the client?
Can one install only the client?

Thanks,
-km

Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Interface Question
Author:  Charles Tassell <ctassell@isn.net> at ccmgate
Date:    6/28/2000 10:44 PM

All of the different interfaces have there own way of specifying the host
to connect to (eg, with pgsql it's "pgsql -h hostname databasename")  You
also have to setup the pg_hba.conf file in your PGDATA directory
(/usr/local/pgsql/data on my machine) to allow access from the remote
machine.  Usually adding this line will do the trick:

host         all        REMOTE.IP.ADDR.ESS       255.255.255.255
crypt

You will have to specify a username/password to connect from that machine,
however (use the -u option of pgsql, ie: pgsql -u -h remote.ip.addr.ess
dbname.)  If you don't care quite so much about security, you can use
"trust" or "ident" instead of crypt.  The pg_hba.conf man page and the file
itself provides good documentation.