Problem obtaining MAX values FROM TABLE - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Farewell
Subject Problem obtaining MAX values FROM TABLE
Date
List pgsql-sql
I am having a problem with a query, I have a view which produces something
like this:

b_id    company_name     product_count   product_type
29    "company 1"            1                "a"
29    "company 2"           1                "b"
29    "company 3"            3            "a"
27    "company 4"            1            "c"
27    "company 4"            4            "d"
24    "company 5"            3            "a"
24    "company 5"            5            "c"
24    "company 5"            2            "d"

I need to write a query which returns each company together with the
highest product_count and its associated product type so the result should
look like this:

b_id    company_name     product_count   product_type
29    "company 1"            1                "a"
29    "company 2"           1                "b"
29    "company 3"            3            "a"
27    "company 4"            4            "d"
24    "company 5"            5            "c"

I have tried the following query:

SELECT company, MAX(type_count), product_type FROM buyer_product_frequencies

GROUP BY company, product_type

But in this case it just produces the same results as are in the first
table. If I drop product_type from the query I get the right result but I
don't have the product type which I need. This problem is driving me mad! so
any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mike Farewell