Very important choice - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruno Almeida do Lago
Subject Very important choice
Date
List pgsql-performance

Sorry, I sent this mail message with wrong account and it has been delayed by the mail system, so I’m resending it.

Hello my friends,

I'd like to know (based on your experience and technical details) which OS is recommended for running PostgreSQL keeping in mind 3 indicators:

1 - Performance (SO, Network and IO)

2 - SO Stability

3 - File System Integrity

Comparisons between Slackware, Gentoo and FreeBSD are welcome.

Which file system has the best performance and integrity: XFS (Linux) or UFS (FreeBSD)?

*I've read that UFS is not a journaling FS. Is this right? How much this difference affects performance and integrity?

I don't have experience with FreeBSD so I'd like to know if it is possible to run XFS on FreeBSD 5.3.

Thank you,

Bruno Almeida do Lago