Re: Fwd: Re: SQL3 UNDER - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert B. Easter
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: SQL3 UNDER
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 24 May 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> "Robert B. Easter" wrote:
> >
> > I've started posting this OO stuff to pgsql-hackers-oo@postgresql.org.
>
> Where can I subscribe to that list ?

Just send a message to pgsql-hackers-oo-request@postgresql.org
with subject "subscribe"

> The OO-PostgreSQL discussion is not even near being over ...

Well, I hope some one sees my point about INHERITS and UNDER
maybe being complementary.  UNDER is a single inheritance container/tree all
contained inside maximal supertable.  INHERITS provides multiple inheritance
and can provide links between tables in different containers/trees, subject to
some restrictions.  I think it deserves some looking at rather than just doing
away with INHERIT for just UNDER.  (again I can be wrong).  I guess its hard to
explain.  I still need to provide good examples.  I can best describe the
difference as UNDER creates circles within circles representing tables and
subtables.  INHERITS provides for circles/tables to overlap (to be cloned in a
sense) and allows it multiple overlapping/merging.  The INHERITS does it as it
is now that way, by merging same name attributes from two or more parents into a
single child.  INHERIT is like cells reproducing using one or n parents.
UNDER is like a single cell making baby cells inside of itself.   :-)  hehe