Very Slow connecting and loading database - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Roberto Mason
Subject Very Slow connecting and loading database
Date
List pgadmin-support
I'm running PostgreSQL at home. I want to learn SQL programming with Visual
Basic. When I connect with pgadminII to the server  (log in with postgres -
no password), it takes up to 3-4 minutes to connect. When I click to the
database "bobsimple - sample database", it can take over 5 minutes to
"examine".

Would some now what could possibly cause this problems.

I have a home network, running PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on Redhat 8.0. It's a home
server running on a Celeron 400 Mhz, 256 Megs of memory. I'm also running
Samba and Exim MTA. I may be overloading it a bit, but it shouldn't be this
slow, atleast I think not.

Thanks for whatever help may be available

Roberto