RE: Re: 7.1.2 ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table ...... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincy Lin
Subject RE: Re: 7.1.2 ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table ......
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks your reply.

Actully, We are using 4 fields (CompanySerialNo, BrahcnOffice, DepartmentCategory, Department) to check employee work
forwhich company parimary. Well, we have many company here (In Taiwan) have multi-company name but in same office. Some
employeework for all multi-company. But our system only allow one employee belong to one company in this time.

Create Table CompanyInfo
(
    CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    Parimary Key,
    LocalName        Text,
    EnglishName        Text,
);

Create Table DepartmentInfo
(
    CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    References CompanyInfo
                        On Update Cascade
                        On Delete Cascade,
    BranchOffice        Char(40) Default '',
    DepartmentCategory    Char(40) Default '',
    Department        Char(40) Default ''
    /* Primary Key (CompanySerialNo, BranchOffice, DepartmentCategory, Department)    */
);

Create Table EmployeeInfo
(
    EmployeeNo        Char(20)    Primary Key,
    LocalName        Text,
    FirstName        Text,
    LastName        Text,
    CompanySerialNo    Char(20)    References CompanyInfo
                        On Update Cascade
                        On Delete Cascade,
    BranchOffice        Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (BranchOffice)    */
                        /* On Update Cascade                */
                        /* On Delete Set Default,                */
    DepartmentCategory    Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (DepartmentCategory)*/
                        /* On Update Cascade                */
                        /* On Delete Set Default,                */
    Department        Char(40),    /* References DepartmentInfo (Department)        */
                        /* On Update Cascade                */
                        /* On Delete Set Default,                */
);

    If

    1.    one company don't allow multi-department with same name

        How to set the references in EmployeeInfo table ?

    2.    one company allow multi-department with same name (But not with same BranchOffice and/or DepartmentCategory).

        How to set the references in EmployeeInfo table ?

    without to using trigger (if possible).

    I think the postgresql from 7.0.3 to 7.1.2 have change some basic rule. The old code work fine in 7.0.3 but not ok
in7.1.2.