Version of a Postgres installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Burrows
Subject Version of a Postgres installation
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

How would a user find out which version of PostgreSQL they are using?

I've had a look thought the archives for this but the only answer I have
found is to check the PG_VERSION file in the data directory.  This is all
very well if the have postmaster privileges and can access that directory,
but what about a user on a shared machine?  For example someone who's ISP
allows them to use PostgreSQL?

I know they could ask the system administrator but is there not a quick and
easy way of finding out the version number?

Many regards,

E-mail: neil@pawprint.co.uk                         ** This e-mail was  **
Web   : http://www.remo.demon.co.uk/                ** Made in Scotland **
-------< PGP Key available from http://www.remo.demon.co.uk/pgp/ >--------