Postgres restart problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Subject Postgres restart problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We have a postgres db which has been crashing about 5 times a day. It must
be failrly apparent given my other messages to this mailing list.

Now we are faced with a new problem. After crash we were able to restart
postmaster. Now postgres is getting more temperamental. It refused to
restart saying that the data directory is not found.
When we posted this message last time... Somebody said... check out whether
hard disk mounted. This is hilarious. We are doing serious stuff and the
minimum we ensure that the directory exists.

Finally I have cracked the problem. ipcclean utility does nothing. Instead
you have to explicitly use ipcs and ipcrm and to clear all semaphore and
shared memory which is blocked. After which restarting postmaster goes
thru'.

Hope this helps somebody in a different state of distress than mine.

Bye,

Murali

Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.,
176, Gr. Floor, 6th Main
2nd Block RT Nagar
Bangalore - 560 032
India