createdb: could not connect - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From stephenc
Subject createdb: could not connect
Date
List pgsql-novice

I am trying to do 1.3 of help - that is create a database.

I'm om winmdows XP.

I have installed postgresql.  I can open tools like pgAdmin.

I have two command prompt screens I can get up from the all programs menu:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin>createdb mydb

Password:

createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  password authenticatio

n failed for user "stephenc"

and

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms

       \h for help with SQL commands

       \? for help with psql commands

       \q to quit

Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)

         8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference

         page "Notes for Windows users" for details.

postgres=# makedb mydb

postgres-#

As you can see neither of them did what was meant to happen which is I should have got the response:

CREATE DATABASE

I think this is something to do with the password, but now I am lost.  Can someone tell me how to set the password?  Incidentally, I never created a user stephenc.  That is just the name of my user account on the xp box.

Any help most welcome.

Stephen Choularton

0413 545 182