Re: [SQL] Looking for information on PostgreSQL Stored Procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Foster, Stephen
Subject Re: [SQL] Looking for information on PostgreSQL Stored Procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Trying a totally different approach.  Simple procedure that I'm using to
use as learn opportunity in stored procedures in PostgreSQL prior to
migrating a complex web site.  Call it a training example if you will.
Goal is to learn the correct process of working with cursors on complex
queries in PostgreSQL before investing hours of work migrating a web
site and moving some of the complex procedures to the database to
simplify a process.

Using this simple example,

CREATE FUNCTION sp_removedups() RETURNS void AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
    lastname varchar(255);
    fname varchar(255);
    id bigint;
DECLARE NewListCursor CURSOR FOR
    SELECT    Name, id
    FROM    MailingList
    ORDER BY Name;
BEGIN
    OPEN NewListCursor;
    LastName := "";
    FETCH NEXT FROM NewListCursor INTO fname, id;
    WHILE (--Lost on variable name for end of query;
EmptyQueryResponse <> 0? --)
        BEGIN
            IF LastName = fname THEN
                DELETE FROM MailingList WHERE id = id;
            END IF;
            LastName := fname;
            FETCH NEXT FROM NewListCursor INTO fname, id;
        END;
    CLOSE NewListCursor;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

On the BEGIN/END; yes you are right it was missing.  I'm converting a
MS-2000 SQL example to PostgreSQL.  Error according to pgadminIII is on
line 11.  Which should be the "LastName := "";" line.  Before someone
says it there is a better way of do this but it was a simple example
before I dived in to the real ones.

Second question/problem is how do you determine if the query has reached
the end.  Mentioned on the WHILE line.

I have another project after this one I'm about to tackle that will be
even more complex.  So the sooner I can grasp the store procedures in
this database the better off I will be.  If there is a book somewhere
that will clearly define the command set please let me know.  This way
determine what I can and can't do.  The web language I use I can go back
and fore with no problems but am think some of the processing that it is
currently doing would be faster if I move it to the database side.

Thanks for any help,

Lee Foster