Re: [GENERAL] Looking for information on PostgreSQL Stored Procedures - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Foster, Stephen
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Looking for information on PostgreSQL Stored Procedures
Date
List pgsql-sql
Michael,

This is one of the simple ones that has me hung up.  It currently errors
out on the first line.  Why I have no idea.  It looks right to me.  One
of the harder ones that I have to work on is on the security
sub-routines to pull together the security rights for a person during
login and I'm looking forward to that one.

I'll take a look at the reference that you sent.  The other ones that I
wrote had to be really simple if I'm hung on this one.  It is just a
simple purge on a temp table before merging new information into the
master table.  I have thought about this before hand wasn't about to
locate the "Welcome to PostreSQL Stored Procedures" or in my current
case "PostreSQL for idiots".  This is embarrassing for the time I've
spend as a DBA.  Getting kicked by a simple pre-process procedure.

CREATE FUNCTION sp_removedups() RETURNS void AS
$BODY$
DECLARE lastname varchar(255);
    fname varchar(255);
    id bigint;
DECLARE NewListCursor CURSOR FOR
    SELECT    Name, id
    FROM    MailingList
    ORDER BY Name;
OPEN NewListCursor;
LineNum := 0;
LastName := "";
FETCH NEXT FROM NewListCursor INTO fname, id;
WHILE (--Lost on variable name for end of query; EmptyQueryResponse <>
0? --)
    BEGIN
        IF LastName = fname THEN
            DELETE FROM MailingList WHERE id = id;
        END IF;
        LastName := fname;
        FETCH NEXT FROM NewListCursor INTO fname, id;
    END;
CLOSE NewListCursor;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE;